I had a report request in Management Reporter, to show revenue by each day of the month at the row level. I had to think about how to design it, so I could make this automatically pick up the correct days of the accounting period without going into the row or column definition and changing the dates every month.
Below is how I designed the report to deliver the customer’s request without modifying the report each month.
Column Definition: I created this for one week, but can easily expand it to a full month.
Key things to point out
- Column Type – ‘FD’
- Periods Covered – Periodic
- Start Date (here you are telling MR which day of the month you want in the column to start with, do not put an actual date in there)
- End Date (here you are telling MR which day of the month you want in the column to end on, put the same number as the Start Date)
– I added an Auto Text of ‘StartDate’ to make sure I had the correct days in the columns
* Change the Print Control to ‘NP’ (Don’t print this column) after you have verified your numbers
Row Definition: Because the customer did not want the Revenue going across in columns, I had to use the ‘CAL’ (calculation) Format Code to get the amounts to show in each row.
- I first had to add my Revenue accounts in Link to Financial Dimensions (J) that I wanted the information based off of
- I populated Column Restriction only because I wanted to see the numbers in the day columns for verifying the amounts to each day
- I manually added the Description (B) to what the customer wanted
- Select ‘Cal’ in the Format Code (C) column for each day
(D) add the relationship to the Column Definition that belongs in each row. Formula –
- B – is the B column in the Column Definition where you want the amount to populate in, for the row you are on
- C.130 – C is the column in the Column Definition you want to pull in |130 – is the Row Code in the Row Definition that defines the Revenue
As you see below, each row has a different column defined in the formula (e.g.C.130, D.130, E.130, etc…) to pull the correct day into that row
* Change the Print Control to ‘NP’ (Non-Printing) after you have verified your numbers
Report view to verify amounts: Before changing Print Control to ‘NP’
Report view of Customer’s request: After changing Print Control to ‘NP’